Thursday, February 3, 2011

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy

So I have a few confessions, nothing earth-shattering or ground breaking or natural disaster causing, just a few confessions...

I was raised by one of the strongest women I've ever met. My mom raised three girls all by herself from the time I was about 4ish. (I obviously don't remember the exact time, I was a little young for those memories). She worked two, sometimes three jobs, went back to college to earn her Bachelor's Degree then on to get her Masters (from a school 3 hours away from where we lived before online courses). She made sure we were always fed and provided for us the best way she could. She is my hero. She raised my sisters and I to be strong, independent women. We valued school and education, well, we really didn't have a choice, it was do your best (meaning A's and B's) or be grounded! We all grew up to become successful women and members of society. However, growing up, I thought that my mom was the hardest working woman, and that my friends who had stay at home moms had moms that didn't really work that hard. I mean, what did they do all day? Did they just lay in bed and clean and cook dinner? I actually remember getting into an argument with a friend about who's mom worked harder, mine who worked several jobs or her stay at home mom......but now I see the light!

I see that both Moms that work outside the home and Moms that stay at home work hard, just in different ways. I love my little man, I cherish the time that we get to spend together, I love that I was the first one to see him roll over, that he is my alarm clock, that he can look at me and smile and my whole day gets a bit brighter. But, there are also moments when I just wish I could drop him off and go back to work. As crazy as it sounds, the break from the day to day baby raising seems like a welcomed phenomena. However, I know that nobody can raise my son like I can. Nobody can love him like I can or instill our family values like I can. I know its a struggle and its a challenge, but its all for him. When I became his mom, I sacrificed sleeping in on weekends, and other comforts of the child-less people I know. But it is all worth it!

I love my husband even more for working the crazy hours he does and doing all that he is doing to make sure that I can continue to stay home with Myles. I never knew such a challenge existed in motherhood. I never knew what it was REALLY going to take to be a Mom. To be honest, being a Mom has rocked me to the core, my life will never be the same...but I'd do it all over again if I had the option....don't worry, #2 is WAY down the road!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, no matter if you're a stay at home mom or a working mom, we all work HARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment